I booked a 6 person limo to pick myself and my girlfriend up from JFK to take us to the Waldorf Astoria, I wanted to set a great impression and have an awesome welcome to NYC, some points:
1. I emailed to get a price ($114.50) including tax, tip and tolls
2. I called them up and got them to confirm this
3. I even called up to make sure it was correct
4. On arrival at JFK I had an email that the price was now $138.50 because of an admin error. I said that they need to honour the original price or I can just get a yellow cab, they said they would honour it.
5. The limo arrived, it was dented, had two cracked windows and its licence ended in May 2012 (I arrived on 26th June)
6. The driver didnt know that they had agreed to honour the price so he wanted more cash
7. I spoke to the despatch who then said that I need to pay waiting charges because it took me more than an hour from when the plane arrived... The limo was booked for 5.25 and we got in it at 6.15...
8. The driver asked for more cash than I gave him ($120)
I ended up telling the despatch to try and charge my credit card if he wanted to argue with Visa about this.
Golden 'class' limo gave me an awful start to the holiday, the last thing you want to be doing when trying to impress someone is have to argue with the company in front of them on a previously agreed price.
Avoid at all costs.
Monetary Loss: $120.